Well, it has been a couple of weeks but I’ve been keeping busy. Last weekend Eric and I were working on free-form sculptures that will, eventually, become panels for a spaceship interior (think MST3K). This will be for a photo narrative project that we have been working on. The story itself was Eric’s idea, and being the creative and artistic sort of person he is I just had to ask him to collaborate with me!
I can’t be sure how long it has taken him, but Eric has amassed heaven knows how many caps, bottles, cups and miscellaneous found objects for just such an occasion. And thank goodness for that! Last weekend we glued a lot of his collection to mat boards in whatever way we found aesthetically pleasing and over this week I have been working on painting them. This has been tremendous fun! There was something really Zen about this sort of non-representational art. No expectations or rules, just whatever we felt like doing.
I ran out of spray paint pretty early on so I’m behind schedule. I am using Krylon Fusion in hammered silver. It’s a great paint for plastic, but it has to be non-porous plastic. If you try to paint rubber it will never dry. I tried it on a pair of rubber boots and I ended up throwing them out. We used E6000, hot glue and double-sided foam tape depending on which type of material we were trying to adhere.
I just can’t wait until they are all painted and hanging up!
In other news, I am trying to tie dye a pair of jeans, and as if I don’t have enough to do, I have volunteered to teach a belly dance class this fall. I’m really excited about teaching actually. But I’ll tell you all about that when I get more spare time.