Bellydance Poster Design

Beginning Bellydance with Erica

The poster for belly dance class

In my spare time this week I committed myself to having less spare time! But it is a labor of love, as I am now the new belly dance teacher at the Spirit Room! I’m very excited about it as it is something I’ve thought about doing for a while now. The opportunity had not come up until recently. My most recent teacher, Rebecca, is working on her doctorate and would not have the time to commit to the class this year. So she asked me! I finalized things with Dawn, the director of the Spirit Room, and my first act as the new teacher was to make my own promotional poster. This is of course lots of fun for me being a photographer (travel and fine art) and having just upgraded to Adobe Photoshop CS5. It’s nothing fancy, but it was fun. The silhouette in the poster is that of a fellow student from Laura’s class at the Y, Lori Landa.  I did a whole lot of things to the picture to the point where I can’t remember it all. I believe I started with cutting Lori out using the quick selection tool. It came out rough and I decided I liked it because it gave it a sort of ancient quality. Then I desaturated it, did a “find edges” filter, and then the “bask relief” artistic filter. The top graphic design is a brush from Obsidian Dawn. I kept this all B&W because I knew it would be photocopied for fliers.

I have also decided I need to start a belly dance blog. I only know two other groups of belly dancers in the Fargo/Moorhead area. Neither have updated their web sites in at least a year. It’s hard to get the community of dancers together when nobody is current! I do not have that set up yet.

So I’ll be doing that in my spare time.

Published in: on August 18, 2010 at 10:04 pm  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , , ,

Spaceship Interior Underway

Spaceship panel

Found objects make great art

Found objects

Raw materials

Well, it has been a couple of weeks but I’ve been keeping busy. Last weekend Eric and I were working on free-form sculptures that will, eventually, become panels for a spaceship interior (think MST3K). This will be for a photo narrative project that we have been working on. The story itself was Eric’s idea, and being the creative and artistic sort of person he is I just had to ask him to collaborate with me!

I can’t be sure how long it has taken him, but Eric has amassed heaven knows how many caps, bottles, cups and miscellaneous found objects for just such an occasion. And thank goodness for that! Last weekend we glued a lot of his collection to mat boards in whatever way we found aesthetically pleasing and over this week I have been working on painting them. This has been tremendous fun! There was something really Zen about this sort of non-representational art. No expectations or rules, just whatever we felt like doing.
I ran out of spray paint pretty early on so I’m behind schedule. I am using Krylon Fusion in hammered silver. It’s a great paint for plastic, but it has to be non-porous plastic. If you try to paint rubber it will never dry. I tried it on a pair of rubber boots and I ended up throwing them out. We used E6000, hot glue and double-sided foam tape depending on which type of material we were trying to adhere.
I just can’t wait until they are all painted and hanging up!

In other news, I am trying to tie dye a pair of jeans, and as if I don’t have enough to do, I have volunteered to teach a belly dance class this fall. I’m really excited about teaching actually. But I’ll tell you all about that when I get more spare time.

Published in: on August 8, 2010 at 6:45 pm  Comments (1)  
Tags: , , , , ,